By Mike Zhe
Nobody’s leaving out Kimball Union this year.
One year after getting nudged out of the eighth and final spot in the Stuart/Corkery (elite) tournament for New England supremacy, KUA is not only in the field, but was awarded the top seed when the brackets were released on Sunday.
No. 1 KUA will play No. 8 Gunnery in a quarterfinal matchup on Wednesday at a site to be determined.
The Wildcats (25-2) were slated to play Holderness on Sunday in the final of the Lakes Region tournament, but that game was cancelled because of the snow and KUA awarded the title.
Now, they’ll take aim at a bigger one.
Three teams from the Founders League – Kent School, Salisbury and Westminster – earned spots in the eight-team Stuart/Corkery field as well.
The other quarterfinal matchups are:
* No. 2 Belmont Hill vs. No. 7 Westminster
* No. 3 Berkshire vs. No. 6 Salisbury
* No. 4 Kent vs. No. 5 Dexter
The quarterfinal winners advance to the semifinals on Friday night at the Icenter in Salem, N.H. The championship game will be played there Sunday (3 p.m.).
In the Martin/Earl (large school) tournament, the quarterfinal match-ups are:
* No. 1 Cushing vs. No. 8 Governor’s
* No. 2 Thayer vs. No. 7 St. Sebastian’s
* No. 3 Avon Old Farms vs. No. 6 Choate
* No. 4 Milton vs. No. 5 Phillips Exeter
Semifinals will be held at the Icenter Saturday, with the championship slated for Sunday (1 p.m.).
In the Piatelli/Simmons (small school) tournament, the quarterfinal match-ups are:
* No. 1 Kents Hill vs. No. 8 Millbrook
* No. 2 Rivers vs. No. 7 Holderness
* No. 3 Brooks vs. No. 6 Middlesex
* No. 4 Winchendon vs. No. 5 Tilton
Semifinals will be held at the Icenter Saturday with the championship slated for Sunday (10:30 a.m.).
The defending tournament champions are Lawrence Academy (elite), Berkshire (large school) and KUA (small school).