Roster set for U.S. Women's National Team training camp
On Monday, USA Hockey announced the names of 28 players invited to its U.S. Women's National Team training camp, which will take place at the Olympic Center in Lake Placid, N.Y., March 25-31.
Of the 28, a final 23-player roster will be selected on March 30. That group will then compete in the IIHF Women's World Championship in Ottawa, April 2-9.
There are plenty of individuals with New England ties, including Harvard bench boss Katey Stone (Arlington, Mass.), who will serve as head coach, alongside assistant coaches Bobby Jay (Burlington, Mass.) and Hilary Witt (Canton, Mass.).
Connecticut native and Harvard alumna Julie Chu, who took the No. 1 spot on our list of the 10 greatest women's hockey players from New England back in January, has won two silver medals in three Olympic appearances and brings a wealth of skill and experience to the squad.
Here's the full rundown of noteworthy names invited to camp:
- Kelly Babstock (Quinnipiac)
- Alex Carpenter (BC; North Reading, Mass.)
- Julie Chu (Fairfield, Conn.)
- Kendall Coyne (Northeastern)
- Meghan Duggan (Boston Blades; Danvers, Mass.)
- Lyndsey Fry (Harvard)
- Hilary Knight (Boston Blades)
- Jen Schoullis (Boston Blades)
- Haley Skarupa (Boston College)
- Kelley Steadman (Boston Blades)
- Kacey Bellamy (Boston Blades; Westfield, Mass.)
- Caitlin Cahow (Boston Blades; Vinalhaven, Maine)
- Gigi Marvin (Boston Blades)
- Michelle Picard (Harvard; Taunton, Mass.)
- Anne Schleper (Boston Blades)
The U.S. has won the gold medal in three of the previous four IIHF Women's World Championships, including 2008, 2009 and 2011.