June 1, 2012

Rape charges against former BU d-man Nicastro dropped

By Jesse Connolly

Due to a lack of sufficient evidence, rape charges against former BU defenseman Max Nicastro have been dropped. 

Max Nicastro had nine points in 27 games prior to being suspended. (Dave Arnold Photography)

“After a three-month investigation and a comprehensive review of the evidence it developed, prosecutors determined that they could not meet their burden at trial of proof beyond a reasonable doubt and had an ethical obligation not to pursue it further,” Suffolk County District Attorney spokesperson Jake Wark said.

Nicastro, who turned 22 in March, was in the midst of his third season with the Terriers before being arrested in February after a female student alleged that he’d sexually assaulted her. The university promptly suspended the California native from the team. Two days later, the school reported he was no longer enrolled there.

“I feel relieved and just happy it’s done with,” Nicastro said after the hearing. “It’s been a hard road.”

BU alum Chris Higgins (Lynnfield, Mass.) took to Twitter to share his relief that the charges had been dismissed.

"Glad to hear about Maxy," Higgins wrote. "Hopefully now he can move on with his life and his hockey career."

Selected 91st overall at the 2008 NHL Draft by the Red Wings, Nicastro will now turn his attention to finishing his degree, according to his attorney, Hugh Curran. It remains unclear whether Nicastro will attempt to be reinstated at BU and continue working toward that goal there.  

Jesse Connolly can be reached at jconnolly@hockeyjournal.com. Follow him on Twitter at @JesseNEHJ.